Smothered Chicken breast with onions and mushrooms & provolone cheese. Set aside with the onion and the mushrooms. Coat a large nonstick frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, add the chicken breast halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Set the veggies aside, discard the thyme sprigs and return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the remaining butter and when it's melted add in the chicken breasts; season with salt and pepper. Smothered chicken and mushrooms transform sweet, slow-cooked onions, tender mushrooms and juicy (never dry) baked chicken into a one-pan dinner masterpiece with hardly any work from you. You can cook Smothered Chicken breast with onions and mushrooms & provolone cheese using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Smothered Chicken breast with onions and mushrooms & provolone cheese
- You need of Marinade for chicken.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 1 tbsp of liquid smoke.
- You need 2 tsp of garlic salt.
- You need 1 tsp of dried rosemary.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 4 of -6 chicken breast.
- You need of smothered part of chicken.
- It’s 4 slice of bacon.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion, sliced thin.
- You need 1 cup of sliced mushrooms.
- It’s 4 of -8 slices of provolone cheese (you could use whatever cheese you like).
I'm a big believer in the simplicity of whole food on my blog The Country Contessa. You may also love this easy chicken and noodles recipe. Smothered Chicken Breasts Smothered Chicken Breasts. This was easy and really good.
Smothered Chicken breast with onions and mushrooms & provolone cheese instructions
- Pound out chicken breast or slice in half lengthwise, just make sure they are all about the same thickness. Add chicken into marinade mixture and marinade for 30min-2 hours in fridge..
- Cook bacon in a large skillet til crispy, drain on paper towel and set aside. In the same skillet with the bacon grease add in the butter then add the onion and cook til carmelized. Remove from skillet and set aside. In same pan add mushrooms and cook til carmelized in color, remove and set aside. You will be layering these on the chicken..
- While you are doing step 2, in another skillet or grill pan cook chicken til no longer pink and is nice and brown..
- Preheat broiler, place chicken in a casserole dish and begin layering these starting with the bacon, then mushrooms, then onion. Put under broiler just until mushrooms and onions are heated back up then remove and add cheese on top, put back under broiler just til cheese has melted..
I will make it with pork tenderloin next time. I also added a can of sliced mushrooms to the sauce and onions and it was good!! I used Maple bacon instead of regular to make it even more sweet. Skillet Chicken with Mushroom and Onion Sauce- a quick and easy one pot skillet dinner perfect for busy weeknights when you crave something fresh and comforting. There are busy weeknights when I can't seem to pull together a well-planned out meal and I find myself staring at a fridge, trying to cobble something together with the ingredients on hand.